Sunday, May 1, 2011

Test

I took the day off from work on Friday. Stress at work is high. I needed a mental break. My students will take the CST on Tuesday  (the CST is a test, a very important test, but I won't tell you what the initials stand for since I was asked to sign an affidavit saying I won't talk about it).

 My principal, who takes things a step further has "encouraged" teachers to avoid teaching Art, Music, Science, and Social Studies and to focus on test prep, test prep, and test prep. If we wanted to teach these subjects we had to justify its importance over the CST by writing a paper. So, for the last month, I've been obediently reviewing Math for two hours and Language Arts for four  hours. I've been obedient for several reasons, I'll just mention two: My students are limited in English. The CST is in English and they need all the practice they can get. Two, we actually have teachers at our school district that say: Those Mexican children bring our scores down. My students are Mexican and don't worry, I'm too tired and stressed to lash out my anger at those teachers..today.

You see, the game/threat is simple: If our school does not meet its academic score/goal on the CST, the state will take over. I asked my administrators many times to explain  "take over," but nobody really does and with my hyperactive imagination and pessimism, sometimes I think the worst:



These are not good days for education.

5 comments:

  1. HI T.:

    The education policy always have a concept of unity.
    Is more difficult in primary or secudary level.
    I understand you distress, but you should not pay the "state policy of education" with your health.
    Take it easy.
    (This vid is impactant).

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can already tell that you are a great teacher, and do u know why I know that? BECAUSE YOU ACTUALLY CARE ABOUT THEM AND HOW WELL THEY DO. The teachers that made those "ignorant" comments (so sad teachers do that) are not really doing their jobs. It is the language barrier and nothing else what is "bringing the scores down". Well, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT "TEACHERS"---- LIKE TEACH!!!
    Despite everything is said and heard, I noticed that Mexican students were ahead in every subject in their freshman college year. So I am sure the kids, no matter what year they arrived to your school have had some good education IN SPANISH.

    Those kids need you healthy and sane. Take it easy. And thank you for actually caring

    ATC

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Cronicas: Thank you for your kind support..
    teaching is really stressful :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. ATC:
    Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to write a comment. It sounds like your're a teacher too :)

    A pleasure reading your comment...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trying

    I am glad I could cheer you up! And for what I noticed you still need to keep your spirits up.
    <probably the hardest of being a teacher is to know that we are being evaluated through the performance of our students.

    Keep up the good work that you know you are doing.

    PS Although teaching is not my primary job, I can tell you I have done it for a long time (until now, and I miss it!)

    ReplyDelete